Latest News
Trump supports proxy voting for new mothers in Congress: 'Don’t know why it’s controversial'
President Donald Trump said he supports letting new moms in Congress vote by proxy, putting him at odds with House Speaker Mike Johnson.
"You’re having a baby, I think you should be able to call in and vote," Trump told reporters Thursday on Air Force One. "I'm in favor of that."
"I don’t know why it’s controversial," he added.
He said he had spoken with Rep. Anna Paulina Luna, R-Fla., one of the lead GOP voices behind the plan.
ANNA PAULINA LUNA FORCES HOUSE LEADERSHIP'S HAND ON PROXY VOTING AS GOP WAR ESCALATES
Luna and Rep. Brittany Pettersen, D-Colo., are pushing a proposal that would let new parents vote by proxy for 12 weeks while caring for their newborns. With 218 lawmakers backing the move, it has enough support to force a vote.
Johnson, however, has historically opposed proxy voting, previously calling it unconstitutional and warning it was misused under then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi during COVID. But after Trump’s endorsement, Luna revealed that Johnson reached out to her.
"@SpeakerJohnson has called me after POTUS statement and we discussed limiting the vote to just new moms who cannot physically travel in event of emergency etc. This is smart," Luna tweeted. "Remember: only 13 in US history."
ANNA PAULINA LUNA RESIGNS FROM HOUSE FREEDOM CAUCUS, SAYS 'MUTUAL RESPECT' WAS 'SHATTERED'
Johnson had tried to kill the effort earlier this week, but nine Republicans joined all Democrats to block him, voting 206-222. After the loss, Johnson canceled votes for the rest of the week.
Despite the setback, Luna made it clear the issue isn’t about advancing any legislation for the president, saying she personally told Johnson as much.
It is unclear whether the issue will be brought back for a vote on the House floor before the April Recess.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The offices of House Speaker Mike Johnson and Representative Anna Paulina Luna did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital's request for comment.
Fox News Politics Newsletter: Waltz under fire
Welcome to the Fox News Politics newsletter, with the latest updates on the Trump administration, Capitol Hill and more Fox News politics content.
Here's what's happening…
-Newsom foe picked by Trump for key prosecutor job vows to 'dismantle' sanctuary state shields
-Trump's DOGE push slashes millions in DEI contracts funding 'divisive ideologies' in blue states
-Hawley, Senate Judiciary panel to hear from muzzled Meta whistleblower next week
President Donald Trump’s national security advisor, Mike Waltz, has repeatedly landed in hot water in recent days, beginning with an uproar from Democrats over a Signal chat leak with high-ranking national security officials that has since snowballed.
Trump and his administration, however, repeatedly have defended the national security leader publicly.
Waltz, who previously served as a Florida congressman and as a decorated combat Green Beret, has come under fire from Democrats and critics since March, when the Atlantic magazine's editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg published a firsthand account of getting added to a Signal group chat with top national security leaders, including Waltz, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and CIA Director John Ratcliffe, while they discussed strikes against Yemen terrorists…Read more
'NAZI NEPO BABY': Unearthed photo shows smiling Obama touring SpaceX alongside 'Nazi nepo baby' Elon Musk
'CASH AVALANCHE': President Trump, conservatives celebrate ‘absolutely massive’ Florida special elections sweep
'THE PATIENT LIVED': Trump issues ‘prognosis’ for US after tariffs in medical metaphor
CHANGE OF POLICY: Trump admin moves to more easily fire federal workers at 2 agencies: report
COURT TURBULENCE: Trump faces Judge Boasberg over migrant deportation flights defying court order
'REAL LEADERSHIP': Trump invites El Salvador's Bukele to White House for 'working visit'
COSMIC CLASH: Space Force chief fires off dire warning about Chinese capability to knock out US satellites
'RESTORING DIALOGUE': Kremlin official says he's meeting Trump admin in first Russian visit to US since Ukraine war
UNLIKELY ALLY: Trump gets rare Democrat support for new tariffs: 'This is a good start'
'LONG-OVERDUE': Trump's GOP allies praise new tariff strategy, Dem critics say they will only make life more difficult
'UNBELIEVABLY DISLOYAL': Senate approves resolution against Trump's Canada tariffs hours after 'Liberation Day' event
CALIFORNIA CLASH: Congress barrels toward showdown over Biden-era rule letting California ban gas cars
POWER STRUGGLE: Bipartisan senators' bill would require Congress to approve new tariffs
GOOD TIMING: House Democrats to head to U.S.-Mexico border in California to scrutinize Trump security policies
'FULL SUPPORT': Top House Republican backs Byron Donalds for Florida governor
FIRST ON FOX: Washington Post article hyping anti-DOGE protesters in deep red state omits crucial details
DOWNWARD DOGE: Musk's political baggage: Polls show Americans sour on Trump's most visible advisor
WATCHDOG: Pentagon watchdog opens probe into Hegseth’s use of Signal to discuss Houthi attack plans
ONE-WAY TICKET: ICE says it deported 174 criminal migrants from Texas, including a man with 39 illegal entries
Get the latest updates on the Trump administration and Congress, exclusive interviews and more on FoxNews.com.
Trump admin sets terms for Harvard to address antisemitism to avoid losing billions in taxpayer dollars
FIRST ON FOX: The Trump administration has set new preconditions for Harvard to combat antisemitism in exchange for access to federal funding.
In a letter addressed to Harvard President Dean Garber, senior administration officials claimed Harvard had "fundamentally failed to protect American students and faculty from antisemitic violence and harassment" in violation of the Civil Rights Act.
"U.S. taxpayers invest enormously in U.S. colleges and universities, including Harvard," a letter signed by Josh Gruenbaum, Commissioner of the Federal Acquisition Service at the General Services Administration, Sean Keveney, acting general counsel at the Department of Health and Human Services and Thomas Wheeler, acting general counsel at the Department of Education.
"It is the responsibility of the government to ensure that all recipients are responsible stewards of taxpayer funds," the memo, obtained by Fox News Digital, read.
The letter stipulated that Harvard must ban the use of masks that could conceal identities at protests and establish a clear "time, place and manner" policy for protests. Harvard must also eliminate all Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) programs, adopt "merit-based" admissions and hiring reform and end any admissions based on race or national origin.
The university must commit to "full cooperation" with the Department of Homeland Security and all other agencies in government, according to the letter.
It also said Harvard must review and make changes to programs and departments that "fuel antisemitic harassment," cooperate with law enforcement. It must hold all recognized and unrecognized students accountable for violations of policy and ensure senior administration officials are responsible for disciplinary decisions.
The three federal agencies - HHS, GSA and ED - last week announced a review of some $8 billion in "multi-year grant commitments" as part of a probe launched by the Federal Task Force to Combat Antisemitism.
The review also includes some $255 million in contracts.
"The message is clear: reform is not optional," the task force told Fox News Digital when reached for comment.
"The era of elite impunity is over. With billions in taxpayer dollars at stake, Harvard must either confront its institutional failures—including its inability to protect students from anti-Semitic abuse—or risk losing funding."
"Harvard received the letter from the federal task force this afternoon," a university spokesperson told Fox News Digital.
Garber said earlier this week that Harvard would engage with the task force "to ensure that they have a full account of the work we have done and the actions we will take going forward to combat antisemitism."
"Much is at stake here. In longstanding partnership with the federal government, we have launched and nurtured pathbreaking research that has made countless people healthier and safer, more curious and more knowledgeable, improving their lives, their communities, and our world," Garber said. "But we are not perfect. Antisemitism is a critical problem that we must and will continue to address."
TRUMP COLLEGE CRACKDOWN: LIST OF STUDENTS DETAINED AMID ANTISEMITISM ON CAMPUSES
Weeks ago the Trump administration clawed back more than $400 million in funding from Columbia University, demanding changes to disciplinary policy and placing some programs under administrative control.
Columbia acquiesced to many of the trio of agencies’ demands - prompting backlash from liberal critics - and the university replaced its interim president Katrina Armstrong.
The university’s board of trustees denied caving to the administration, calling the new changes "Columbia-driven decisions made in accordance with our values and our mission."
"Where this work aligns with recommendations of others, we believe constructive dialogue makes sense," the trustees wrote.
Meanwhile, the Trump administration has targeted international students who study at U.S. universities and participate in Gaza protests that they say veer into pro-Hamas territory.
Trump signed an executive order on Jan. 30 to combat the explosion of anti-Semitism on our campuses and streets" since October 7, 2023, and since then the State Department has revoked some 300 visas, many of them held by college students.
"If you apply for a visa to enter the United States and be a student, and you tell us the reason you are coming to the United States is not just because you want to write op-eds, but because you want to participate in movements that are involved in doing things like vandalizing universities, harassing students, taking over buildings, creating a ruckus – we're not going to give you a visa," Rubio said before adding, "Every time I find one of these lunatics, I take away their visa."
Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences Dean Hopi E. Hoekstra said this week that the department was working on a contingency plan in case of federal funding cuts.
"I know this news is extraordinarily disconcerting and that it’s hard to process," Hoekstra said, according to the Harvard Crimson. "There is some important work that we, and only we, can do right now: maintain the continuity of our teaching and research mission."
Harvard and Columbia were among 10 universities the task force said it is reviewing. Harvard already instituted a hiring freeze in response to the review, given the uncertain funding environment.
Republicans charge ahead on Trump budget, setting up marathon Senate votes
Senate Republicans cleared the way on Thursday for an eventual vote on the latest version of a budget to push through several key agenda items for President Trump, including the southern border and extending his 2017 tax cuts.
A motion to proceed was agreed to in the upper chamber just one day after Senate Budget Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham unveiled the Senate's amendment to the House's budget plan.
The Senate agreed to the motion by a vote of 52 to 48, along party lines. The only exception was Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., who voted against it. Paul has criticized the budget framework's provision on the debt ceiling.
The changes made by the Senate include raising the debt ceiling by up to $5 trillion and making Trump's tax cuts permanent by using what's known as a current policy baseline, as determined by the chairman.
TED CRUZ CLASHES WITH KEY DEMOCRAT OVER 'SECOND PHASE OF LAWFARE' THROUGH FEDERAL JUDGES' ORDERS
The Thursday motion kicks off roughly a day's worth of debate, before a "vote-a-rama" begins. The marathon amendment votes are expected to take place at some point on Friday afternoon or evening after debate concludes.
During a vote-a-rama, senators are able to introduce an unlimited number of amendments, and many are expected to get floor votes.
After the amended budget resolution passes in the Senate, which it is expected to do at some point on Saturday, the House will need to take it up again.
This is a significant step forward for Republicans in their quest to get Trump's priorities done through the budget reconciliation process. This key budget process lowers the vote threshold in the Senate from 60 to 51, allowing the GOP to pass things without support from their Democrat counterparts. Reconciliation is considered a key tool for the Republican trifecta in Washington to get Trump's policies passed.
SENATE DEMS FORESHADOW MORE FORCED VOTES TO BLOCK TRUMP'S EMERGENCY ORDERS
Early on, Republicans in the House and Senate were split on how to organize the key resolution. House Republican leaders largely preferred doing one reconciliation bill that addressed both the border and tax cuts, while Senate Republicans wanted to separate the issues into two bills.
Republicans in the lower chamber made it clear they would only accept one reconciliation bill that included border funding and tax cut extensions, as they have less room for dissent in their slim majority.
SCOOP: LINDSEY GRAHAM AMENDMENT SIGNALS GOP BUDGET BREAKTHROUGH, SETS STAGE FOR TRUMP AGENDA
Each chamber passed their preferred resolution, but Trump's support for one bill on multiple occasions put the House's strategy over the top. Senate Republicans themselves even described their resolution as a backup plan to the House's.
Trump wants Musk to stay with administration, says DOGE found something 'horrible' today
President Donald Trump said he wants Elon Musk to stay on his team "as long as possible" during a conversation with reporters Thursday, adding DOGE had found something "horrible" without divulging details.
The president made his remarks during a conversation with reporters on Air Force One after Trump was asked how much longer Musk would stay on as a "special government employee."
The questions followed a report from Politico this week claiming Trump had told his inner circle that Musk will be leaving his role as a "special government employee" with DOGE soon. The report cited internal frustrations with Musk's "unpredictability" and his potential to be a "political liability."
"Elon is fantastic. He's a patriot," Trump told reporters, adding Musk can stay at the White House "as long as he'd like" and that he personally wants him to stay "as long as possible."
JD VANCE FIRES BACK AT CRITICS OF TRUMP TARIFFS, ADDRESSES ELON MUSK'S DOGE FUTURE
"I like smart people, and he's a smart person. I also like him, personally," Trump added. "We're in no rush. But there will be a point at which time Elon's going to have to leave."
"Special government employees" are permitted to work for the federal government for "no more than 130 days in a 365-day period," according to data from the Office of Government Ethics. Musk's 130-day timeframe, beginning on Inauguration Day, would expire May 30.
When asked if he would consider appointing Musk to a different post to keep him around longer, Trump said that could be a possibility.
"I would. I think Elon's great," Trump responded. "But he also has a company to run, or a number of companies to run."
According to the president, "the secretaries" within his cabinet will take over the work Musk has been doing with DOGE upon Musk's exit from DOGE.
That work, Trump added, found something "horrible" and "incredible" today, but he would not divulge further details to reporters.
Musk's work with DOGE officially began after President Trump signed an executive order establishing the office Jan. 20. The role of "special government employee" was created in 1962 to permit the executive or legislative branch to hire temporary employees for specific short-term initiatives.
When asked for a specific date of Musk's potential departure, the president responded that it could be as long as "a few months."
"I'd keep him as long as I can keep him," Trump told reporters earlier this week. "He's a very talented guy. You know, I love very smart people. He's very smart. And he's done a good job."
The president added on Air Force One that he envisions many of the employees working under Musk at DOGE will eventually find their way into full-time positions in various federal agencies.
Support the Movement
Buy The T-Shirt
Order other designs on Cafe Press:
Create Your Own Chapter
Newsletter
Sign up below to get the latest news and events by email.